We have already brought you an article containing details of ten of Singapore’s interesting National Monuments. If you’re thirsty to see more of Singapore’s heritage, history, and architecture, here are some more fascinating and striking sights around the country:
House of Tan Yeok Nee
A typical Teochew-Style home, the House of Tan Yeok Nee is a glorious mansion that was built in 1885. Originally owned by Tan Yeok Nee, a Chinese trader, it was used as his private dwelling for a number of years before he died.
It was later used by railway authorities, religious institutions, and during the Japanese occupation. Damaged during WWII and then restored, it is now an educational establishment used by the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. It is the only remaining example of the historic Four Mansions.
Keng Teck Whay
Located on Telok Ayer Street, Keng Teck Whay was started in 1831 as a community group and mutual fund. It was established by Hokkien Peranakan merchants from Malacca. It shows the contributions by this group to society. The goals were to help members and their families in times of hardship or bereavement, worshipping Sanguan Dadi, and respecting ancestral tablets. Still in operation today, only the founding members and their male children can be members. It was built in a traditional style with many ornamental features. It is also now used as a Taoist temple.
Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church
Singapore’s first Straits Chinese church, Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church was originally called the Malay Chapel. Whilst it was founded in 1843, the current building is from the 1930s. It is where the Singapore Boys’ Brigade was born.
Built in the 1830s, the Armenian Church is Singapore’s oldest Christian church. Whilst reconstructed in later years, today’s neoclassical circular structure follows the styles of a traditional Armenian church. It has large windows and wide verandas to make it suitable for the tropical heat of Singapore. An octagonal tower is topped with a spire and a cross, and the grand altar inside is higher than the seating area. It is still used as a place of worship.
Former Command House
Built in the late 1930s, the Former Command House is a grand building that has a significant military history.
Initially named Flagstaff House, it was built to be home to a military officer. When it looked likely that WWII would have an impact on Singapore, a military base was built around the home. The area saw many vicious battles between Japanese and Allied troops. When captured, the house was used to house Japanese soldiers and the grounds contained prisoners of war. It later became the official home of the Speaker of Parliament, subsequently being renamed as Command House and being temporarily used as the official home of the president of Singapore. It is used today by UBS Business University.
Jurong Town Hall
A relatively new National Monument, Jurong Town Hall was built in the early 1970s. Sitting on a small hill, the unusual futuristic-esque building has plenty of angles and geometric lines. It is used today by iHub, an area dedicated to start-ups.
There are still plenty of National Monuments around Singapore in addition to these six and the ten contained within the previous article. Others include the Old Admiralty House, Raffles Hotel, City Hall, Istana, St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sultan Mosque, Siong Lim Temploe, the Old Hill Street Police Station, the Cathay Building, and Nanyang University Arch.